Rare Rolex Explorer Ref 5500, cal 1530 Automatic S/Steel Watch
Fine & Highly Collectable Rolex Explorer ref 5500 features:
- Automatic, 26 jewels, caliber 1530 Movement, signed & numbered 10133
- 34mm Stainless Steel polished Tonneau-Shaped Case,
- Screw down Caseback, inside back date coded 1/63, no 1002
- Signed screw down Crown
- Black Acrylic Dial (signed Rolex Oyster Perpetual Explorer, Precision), with Arabic (3-6-9 layout) & Baton Numerals, hour, minute & second hands
- Stainless Steel Rolex Oyster Bracelet with signed Folding Clasp
The Rolex reference 5500 was launched in 1957 and would carry various names on the dial but the reference is most often associated with the Air King model. During a small period of time in the 1960s however, Rolex also produced a small number of reference 5500 watches with Explorer dials that were very closely aligned to the classic Explorer Reference 1016. Instead of 'Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified' the dials would spell out 'Super Precision' or 'Precision' below the hands.
The timepiece is in beautiful original condition & in excellent working order
Comes in a generic box, accompanied by valuation certificate
(Rolex outer box is for illustration purposes only).